Preventing cavities and promoting good oral hygiene should start early—by the time a child is two or younger. By bringing your children to the dentist at an early age, you can protect their teeth and prepare them for a future of healthy smiles.
Dr. Robert M. Solow has provided pediatric dentistry to Woodland Hills and Calabasas patients with a compassionate, gentle, and skilled approach for many years. He takes the time to engage and empower patients: letting them explore his office and dental instruments, answering their questions, and moving at a pace that makes them comfortable.
Dr. Solow and his staff have training in the specific dental care that children need, and they work as a team with parents to make the patient experience as positive as possible. Because Dr. Solow’s practice provides family dentistry with comprehensive services, parents and their children can look forward to supportive and effective treatment for years to come.
Understanding Pediatric Dentistry
Children’s teeth are an important part of their health and development. For this reason, Dr. Solow recommends keeping a close watch on their teeth from an early age to ensure that:
- The teeth are emerging properly
- Teeth and dental roots don’t become diseased.
- The mouth is developing correctly.
During a pediatric dentistry visit, much of Dr. Solow’s focus for Woodland Hills and Calabasas patients is on proper development. He also provides many of the procedures that you might have as an adult, including cleanings and fillings. The treatment that your child receives will depend on his or her readiness, age, and oral health needs.
Dr. Solow’s Approach to Pediatric Dentistry
Dental care is a personal pursuit for Dr. Solow. After over three decades in practice, he understands that high-quality outcomes must be combined with a comfortable and compassionate experience. With all of his Woodland Hills and Calabasas patients, he aims to create a positive view of dental care and an interest in maintaining healthy teeth and gums throughout their lives.
For pediatric dentistry:
- Dr. Solow adjusts his approach depending on the child’s emotional and developmental needs.
- Your child’s first visit may not even include an examination and may just be a chance for him or her to get to know Dr. Solow and the staff. The scope of the appointment is completely determined by the child’s comfort level.
- The vast majority of children are excited about their visit. Dr. Solow talks with them about their interests, teaches them about brushing, and may even let them play with the water and air sprays.
By putting control in the hands of his younger patients in Woodland Hills and Calabasas, Dr. Solow helps reduce anxiety and is better able to provide care.
Common Questions About Pediatric Dentistry
When should my child come in for a visit with Dr. Solow?
Dr. Solow encourages parents to expose their children to dental care as early as possible. Parents should begin planning their child’s first appointment for age two. This is an important time for developing teeth, and monitoring their health and growth supports healthy outcomes in the years to come.
What can I do to make my child’s visit successful?
Every child is different, but there are a few ways that Woodland Hills and Calabasas parents can get children ready for a pediatric dentistry appointment:
- Talk about oral health with your child and explain why brushing and seeing the dentist is important.
- Begin to brush your child’s teeth as soon as they emerge. Our practice can advise you about the proper technique, type of brush, and toothpaste to use.
- Parents can bring their child in the room during their dental appointment. This will help him, or her see that the dentist’s office is a safe place.
What are you looking for during a pediatric dentistry examination?
For children who are younger than three years old, Dr. Solow typically looks for proper development of the teeth and mouth as well as any instances of disease or decay.
Children who are three and older are usually at an appropriate age to receive a teeth cleaning, fillings, and other oral health treatments. In more complex pediatric dentistry cases, Dr. Solow may refer patients to pediatric specialists.
If you have a child, who could benefit from Dr. Solow’s care, explore pediatric dentistry with our practice in the Woodland Hills and Calabasas area. Schedule an appointment online or by phone at (818) 999-0104.